NEW MATERIAL FROM READERS

Readers who have material that they are prepared to share on this site, should send it to me at srh.steve@aol.co.uk

This could take the form of family history details, stories relating to a property, or a photograph. All additions will be credited in the way you prescribe.


A new addition could benefit YOU! and vice versa; so, please keep it coming.

Saturday 25 February 2012

MAN AND SHOE, Turk's Head Court.

MAN AND SHOE   #
6 Turk's Head Court
*
MINE HOST:
1838 - 49     Tobias Savage  d. 11.10.1849 aged 52 years.
*
This beerhouse was referred to in a Preston Guardian
of 13th January 1894, as the "MAN AND HORSE,"
but the name of the landlord was again given as Tobias Savage.
*
In Whittle's Directory of 1838 it was also referred to a
"MAN AND HORSE"
*
Personal Comment:  It's only a small point, but perhaps the
'shoe' was a 'horse shoe'?
*
"MAN AND HORSE-SHOE"
That'll start something!
*
MARRIAGE:  On Monday last, Mr. Tobias Savage,
to Miss Jane Nicholson.
Preston Chronicle  28th March 1835 

The next case proceeded with was against Tobias Savage, a beer-shop keeper of Turk's Head Court, for selling, on the 18th February, a pennyworth of tobacco.
Mr. F. Armstrong appeared  next door the same eveningfor the Crown, and Mr. Ascroft for the defendant. Mr. McNaughton stated that on the day in question he went to the defendant's house, and had some ale. There was another man in the house. After having asked for the ale, he applied for a pennyworth of tobacco, which was supplied to him without any hesitation.
Cross-examined:- I was in another beer-shop the same evening; I saw a watchman there; the watchman followed me into Savage's house, very shortly after I went there. I do not recollect whether I invited him to accompany me there. I might have been in three or four beer-shops on the night in question.
Mr. Ascroft:  Were you drunk that night? No I was sober. Can you tell how much ale you had had? I cannot tell to a glass. Can you tell to a dozen glasses? I had not a dozen glasses. I suppose you have been very temperate lately? I won't tell you.
Have you been fighting lately? I won't answer. Have you committed an assault lately in the permit office? I won't answer. Did you give the Permit Writer a black-eye the other day? I will not tell you.
The witness went on to state that he went into the house between eight and nine o'clock in the evening; he would swear it was not nine; the landlord was fiddling; a woman came in to sell nuts; she was rather tipsy; I gave her a glass, and she danced; I will swear that I did not dance; I had the tobacco before the watchman came in; I smoked part of it, and gave the remainder to the man who was in company with me.
Mr. Ascroft then address the Bench for the defendant, and contended that the testimony of the informer was utterly worthless, and ought not to receive any reliance on the part of the Bench.
The following evidence was called:  Thomas Savage: I live at Brock Mill, and have come from there  today to give evidence in the case. I recollect McNaughton being at the defendant's house on the night in question; McNaughton asked for some gin; the landlord said he did not sell gin;  he then asked for some tobacco, and Tobias said he had none; McNaughton told him to fetch some; I offered to fetch it, but he would not let me.
McNaughton then took out eight halfpennies and called them pennies. Tobias went out, and brought back a pennyworth of tobacco, which he gave to McNaughton; I did not smoke any of it; an old woman came in and danced when Tobias was fiddling; McNaughton tried to dance, but he was so drunk that he could not, and fell down against a chair. I considered him to be very drunk. It had struck ten o'clock before the informer came into the house.
Re-examined: I believe the tobacco was brought from Mr. Whittam's house; I saw Tobias go out of the house for the tobacco.
Mr. Whittam examined: I keep a public house next door to the defendant; he is in the habit of coming or sending to my house for pennyworths of tobacco, but I cannot tax my memory as to any particular occasion when he purchased it.
Mr. F. Armstrong having addressed the Bench in reply, the Mayor, after a short deliberation, pronounced their decision for dismissing the information.
Mr. Kay intimated that he must appeal against the decision, but the Mayor said, You can do as you like respecting that, but I think if you were in our place you would do as we have done.
Preston Chronicle   18th May 1839
*
CHARGE AGAINST A RETAIL BREWER
On Monday, at the Town Hall, Tobias Savage, a beer-shop keeper, in Turk's Head Court, was charged with harbouring drunken and dissolute characters in his house. Evidence having been given in support of the charge, the defendant was fined in the penalty of 40 shillings and costs.
Preston Chronicle   18th April 1840
  *
CENSUS RETURN
1841
Tobias Savage                38 years               Retail Brewer
Jane Savage                   37                        Wife
*

No comments:

Post a Comment